• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

ways to increase creativity/drive/critical thinking/"that spark" without drugs

qwe

Bluelight Crew
ways to increase creativity/drive/critical thinking/"that spark" without drugs

so... i'm currently broke, and need cheaper ways of increasing my creativity %)

i think most people recognize the link between drugs (especially psychedelics) and creativity (to quote bill hicks... go burn all of your music CDs if you don't)

how about when drugs are inaccessible for whatever reason?

atm i have very intermittent access to pot, and pot has always been a fantastic muse (any excellent post of mine is almost sure to have been written on cannabis :)). so i am looking for other ways, besides the "willpower yourself into it" advice which doesn't really work with "moods"

sometimes i'm in a very driven, creative, fun mood (unfortunately, this usually happens at night, which creates the dilemma of to be productive or to get quality sleep). sometimes i'm in a fatigued, whatever mood and can't really get into projects

what are "natural" ways you've found to increase that "spark" i'm talking about?

also... if you could perm-redirect the thread to P&S for cross-coverage since this spark is, imo, usually at least somewhat "spiritual" in nature (and the whole thing is sort of philosophical), i'd appreciate that :)

Light fasting works for me, with a bit of rapid breathing. That's my "shortcut" to clear my mind. Sometimes after nights of heavy drinking, I can't get into my rhythm at all until I do those things! That give me lots of energy and get me in the mood to create! Heavy or bad meals make me really fatigued.

Some other things that I notice work for me are: very clean and sun-lit rooms with no clutter, and deep meditation.

I don't do anything specifically for creativity, but some things that can bring me more in touch with feelings:

-Meditation
-Exercise
-Music
-Dancing
-Journaling

I'm coming to see more and more that drugs are just one of many paths to get to a place that we already are :)

^ agreed. going on a hike or just being outside with nature is always inspiring.

also, "free" night at a local museum can get the juices flowing. :)

maybe make a goal for yourself. for example, if you are an painter, aim to put something in a gallery, or if you are a musician, aim to put on a gig.

The literal translation of "yoga" is oneness or unity. It is a physical method of liberating the body from mental constructs, which unifies body and mind, thusly letting the practitioner experience the infinite.

Ashtanga is a form of Vinyasa Yoga, which is part movement, and part Hatha (postures). The entire practice is laid out in breath counts and can be practiced as a whole (takes 2-4 hours to complete), or as a section (10 minutes for Sun Salutation A).

For a beginner, I would recommend Sun Salutation A, followed by Sun Salutation B. If you are up to it, you can do the basic sequence after that, and possibly attempt the finishing sequence.

A Vinyasa class (probably can find a drop in for "first time free") would no doubt be helpful, but not completely necessary.

A complete description, pictures, and breath count of the Ashtanga sequence can be found here http://www.ashtangayoga.info/practice/asana-sequences/

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask :)

good luck!

^ you know one of the leading instructors in mysore india teaches people finishing positions first. always do finishing positions he taught.

it cool that you do ashtanga mehm. I worked through second series took about 2 years then I stopped slowly. I would return to it someday.

for me, it's exercise.. It gets the brain juices flowin

Just pick up your pen/whatever and if you feel tense, stop. You've got to be creative only when you enjoy yourself.

going out in nature;
Hemi-Synch;
listening to others ;-)
looking at things in their simplest form, and relating it to other forms;
looking at something in its simplest form, and expanding on it, re-improvising the only way you know how;
talking and listening to the elderly and children;
patience...?

Studies (soo not up to postin a link now) have demonstrated that after 30hours without sleep the mind enters a psychoactive drug like state, with significant relief from moderate depression.

I used to find at college if i wound up awake all night by morning i'd be the most peppy person in the room with a very noticeably clear mind set as opposed to the fog you may feel after sleeping your life away every single night.

Also i've had luck with deep breathing or meditation even just to give your body an oxygen boost.

Check out binaural beats on youtube if you're not already familiar.

It's funny, marijuana does the opposite thing to me that it does to you. Any sort of consistent smoking for more than 2-3 days in a row and I completely lose that "spark", as well as much of any motivation for life in general. So for me I'd say give up marijuana, lol. But I guess you're already doing that. Other than that, I find the right music to be very inspiring. Certain songs touch me in a way that makes me want to really make something of my life.

Travel to a place where you know nothing of the language or customs. Try to live there for a while. I promise you won't need drugs for inspiration :).